Monday, June 2, 2014

Perfect First Day Of Summer

   Waking to the scent of salt water air and feeling the warmth of the sun through my window I knew that today was going to be the perfect first day of summer!Cars began to line my street and beach goers walked and biked the few blocks to the unguarded Bay Head beaches. I wasn't going to let this beautiful day escape me, so I too got ready to have the sand between my toes.
     I put on my favorite bikini and applied SPF 30 suntan lotion. You may think that is excessive but my fair Irish skin can be mistaken for that of a lobster without proper protection! After I gathered my things I met up with one of my favorite people and we laid at our favorite spot on a Bay Head Beach. There we soaked up the sun, gossiped, and watched the surfers. We dipped our toes into the water and walked for awhile in search of sea glass. 
     The skies are clear and its a beautiful 80 degrees but our stomachs did the talking and we had to leave the beach for some much need nourishment. We ventured to the only logical place to go, Jersey Mike's Subs. This stop was exactly what we needed! The service was fast, and friendly. The food was reasonably priced and utterly delicious! I always feel at home when I am there and I love the 'Jersey' atmosphere. 
     After lunch we traveled 15 minutes north to the picturesque Spring Lake. The traffic was a little heavy in Point Beach even though it was the early afternoon. Once we arrived in Spring Lake we spent some family time with our grandmother and then decided to go to our guilty pleasure eatery for dinner, The Circus!
     For those of you that don't know, The Circus, was established in the 1950's and is a drive-in restaurant. You can dine under the big red and white striped tent or stay in your car for curb side service. We indulged in fan favorites and I ordered my favorite drink, a Pink Elephant! (Don't worry, its just pink lemonade!) 
     After dinner, we took advantage of the gorgeous weather by going on an evening stroll. We walked to the Spring Lake boardwalk and with every step towards the South End Pavilion we felt the cool ocean breeze. We walked around the gorgeous lake and looking into the shop windows on Third Avenue. We even ventured over railroad tracks to fulfill our sweet tooth at Hoffman's Ice Cream. I rarely attend the Spring Lake Heights Hoffman's but I couldn't resist the bright yellow awning if I tried.
     We walked back to our grandmother's house as the sun was going down and together we enjoyed our last moment of the perfect first day of summer.

How did you spend your first day of summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment